Monday, July 8, 2013

Prague


The parts of the geography of Prague that I loved were the river and all of the bridges, and also the fact that it was hilly.  These geographical aspects added so much to the feel of the city.  It almost made it feel like we were in a cute little European town when we were actually in the biggest city in the Czech Republic.  The river and the hills also made the scenery and views so much better.  Whether you ere down by the river and looking up toward the castle, or you were at the castle looking down over the city the views were absolutely beautiful.  Also, I’ve always loved bridges – the bridges are one of the parts of Eau Claire I’ve always loved and in ways standing on one bridge and having more bridges to look at down the river here kind of reminded me of Eau Claire (but it was so much better). 

View of the Charles Bridge

My favorite academic experience in Prague was probably the Museum of Communism.  Everything in the museum was interesting to me: the old memorabilia, the information, and the pictures.  I learned so much about the communism in the Czech Republic in that museum.  I thought I had a decent background of knowledge about communism, but that museum completely opened my eyes.  My favorite part of the museum was definitely the video with live footage of the police force beating protesters.  I didn’t realize that the police would dress as civilians and stand in the crowds to point out those who “needed to be detained” either.  It just makes the history and what happened during that time period so much more real when you see it with your own eyes through live footage than reading a couple paragraphs of information under a picture. 

My favorite extracurricular activity in Prague was spending time on the Charles Bridge and the areas of the city around the Charles Bridge.  We looked at different stands and vendors, and spent some time taking pictures.  The views from the bridge were gorgeous, and so we took some time to admire the scenery around the bridge as well.  Me and Lizzy also went down to one of the other bridges where it was a lot less busy and overwhelming.  We got some more pictures – I was really excited to get some with the entire Charles Bridge in them.  The day we got to spend on and around the Charles Bridge was probably one of the most beautiful days yet on the trip, and so it made the experience on the bridge that much more enjoyable!

Charles Bridge

The monastery we went to for our last night dinner as a group was excellent.  I would definitely recommend the chicken steak with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes meal.  I basically inhaled it because I was so starving and I enjoyed every bite! For dessert I had the chocolate dark beer and caramel ice cream and also tried Lizzy’s apple strudel and they were both also very good.  The atmosphere of the restaurant was relaxed and open which was also nice with such a big group. 



No comments:

Post a Comment